You may have heard of Trelona before, but if not don’t worry, that probably means that you haven’t had to face a termite infestation yet. Trelona is essentially a new type of termite bait by BASF in the Advance Termite Bait Cartridges that acts as an inhibitor for termites and thus results in the extermination of colonies. Keep reading to find out about how we use Trelona for termite control.
All About Trelona
Trelona is a compressed termite bait that uses an active ingredient called Novaluron that is an insect growth inhibitor. Trelona Compressed Termite Bait provides an attractive food source for termites based on its composition. When Trelona is eaten by the termite, the active ingredient Novaluron impairs the termite’s ability to properly synthesize chitin and thus the termite is unable to molt and egg production is interrupted. When they are unable to molt, they are not able to form a replacement exoskeleton that is needed after the molting. This causes the termite to either die or to become incapacitated by their inability to complete the molting process. Continual consumption of the bait will cause the colony to decline, and eventually will lead to total elimination of the colony.
Advanced Termite Bait System with Trelona
It’s important to set up your Termite Bait System correctly so that you can properly treat the infected area. Of course, it is always best to read the label of your system before doing anything. Here are some simple steps you can take to set up your Advance Termite Bait System. That way, you can start killing those termites!
- Dig a hole the same size as the station (read the label if you are dealing with concrete)
- Install the stations within 5 feet of where the termites are active
- It is important to not place stations within 2 feet of an area where you previously applied termiticides
- Install near a suspected termite entry
- The Pre baiting process is used to determine termite activity, using a pre-bait monitors
- Once termites are feeding on the bait, switch the bait with Trelona, which acts as a toxin to the termites
- You can skip the pre-baiting process and place Trelona directly into the station if you prefer
- Wait for the magic to happen!
Trelona has been proven to be an effective way to completely eliminate a termite colony through sustained consumption.
Whether you’re ready or not, termite season is here. If you have questions about termite damage or want to know more about how we use Trelona for termite control, call Arceneaux Pest. Our number is 225-791-9911 or you can contact us here.